Moneysmart has prepared some helpful information about investing and tax, which you will find useful here -

In summary, you need to include investment income in your tax return. This includes (among other things, and relevant to investment in company shares, like those issued through CSF offers) what you earn in:

  • dividends - where a company decides to distribute money to its shareholders

  • capital gains - where you sell an investment resulting in a gain (or loss)

If neither of these things have happened in relation to your investment in a financial year, you typically won't have any tax obligations for that financial year.

It is important to keep good records though, as this will help you at tax time. For investments in shares, you need to keep records to show:

  • how much you paid for the shares, and how much you sold the shares for - each company's registry service (e.g. Registry Direct, Automic etc) records this information; and

  • any income (ie dividends) you have received for the shares - a Company will give you this information if and when they decide to pay a dividend

Check with the companies you've invested in regarding whether they have paid dividends in the relevant FY, or if you have sold any of your investments during this financial year then you may have some reporting obligations for the capital gain or loss.

Let us know if we can help you further by contacting [email protected]

Did this answer your question?